Wednesday, April 27, 2011

From Richard, with love

I have been a fan of the iconic Richard Simmons from his groundbreaking Deal-a-Meal infomercial days, through his antics on Letterman's Late Shows, and every cameo in between. Lucky me! Last fall, I got to give him a hug.
[this is not the most flattering shot of either of us, I assume]

Fast forward to our family field trip this weekend, where I happened on The #1 National Bestseller Never-Say-Diet Book for just over a buck. I had to indulge myself.


So, what lies beyond the cover?
Here, let me show you. Richard won't mind. Because his life is an open book.

There are exercises, like this:
[Vowel Stretchers, for your trouble neck and mouth spots, sore from all the chewing]

And this:
[Tootsie Rolls; drop and give Richard 150, from cheek-to-cheek]

And so many more fantastic, tights-and-t-shirt toning and flexing moves that I wish I had time to post them all.

In addition to sage advice [honestly, his straight-shooting circa 1980 is ridiculously relevant still today], Richard offers up recipes that rival those found in any fitness mag:

Yogurt Garlic Dressing
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 minced clove garlic
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Put all ingredients in a bowl and blend well with a whisk.

Hey, it's how a fella keeps his gams gorgeous from retro to right now!
[Yes, those are Richard's man-t-hose!]

And remember, per Richard, you have all of the ingredients for your own Success Recipe:
Self Love
A Positive Attitude
and Determination

Hey, it's cheesy - but this cheese is low-fat.
Thanks, Richard - love ya from your 'fro to your big toe!

No comments:

Post a Comment