Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Heidi & Betty

And you thought baked beans and sausage weren't the least bit French? Betty & I have paired up to prove you wrong.

Behold Betty Crocker's Baked Bean & Sausage Casserole aka Middle Income French Cooking!

This casserole is, per Betty, an "...appetizing adaptation of the French 'cassoulet.'"

Put that in your Pyrex, Julie & Julia!

I did. It was savory and satisfying. And looked pretty haute and hearty in my fave dish.


Baked Bean & Sausage Casserole
Betty Crocker's New Picture Cook Book (c) 1961

1pkg [10 oz] frozen Lima beans - oooooh, Peruvian legumes!
3 cans [16oz] baked beans
2 cans [20oz] kidney beans, drained
1 lb Italian link sausage or pork link sausage
1/2 lb smoked ham cut into 1/2" cubes
1 T salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t mustard
1 can [8oz] tomato sauce
1/2 c catsup
1/4 c brown sugar [packed]
1 medium onion, chopped
Cook Lima beans 10 minutes. Drain; mix with baked beans and kidney beans. Place sausage in skillet; add small amount of water. Cover and simmer 5 min. Drain; pan fry until brown. Don't prick [how dare you!]. Cut each sausage into 2 or 3 pieces. Heat oven to 400 degrees [mod. hot]. Mix sausage, ham and beans. Combine seasonings, tomato sauce, catsup, brown sugar and onion; add to beans. Pour into 3qt baking dish. Bake uncovered 1 hr. [10-12 servings]


Hmmm...I halved this recipe. Mostly because the exotic Lima beans make my innards quiver. Blech. And because I just wasn't convinced that 10-12 servings of this "cassoulet" would fit into my adorable Pyrex. I also squeezed the sausage links from the meat counter out of the casings before I cooked 'em - hoping to release more flavor into the dish. I think it worked. One more thing, I roasted a few rubbery carrots from my veggie drawer and added them to the mix. With a better than 50% chance that my kids will lose their 20/20 vision soon, we can always use the extra beta carotene.

And if you were wondering - this dish was better than good. A perfect Pyrex cassoulet for a crisp, clear fall day.

I [heart] Betty. And that's not a crock.

4 comments:

  1. I love lima beans, I believe they are one of the most under-rated beans around ... forkhook lima beans are the best... nice casserole dish too by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious and I LOVE the pic!!! Thanks kitschy momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so eat this, quivering insides not withstanding. However no one around here would, which is the bane of my cooking existence.

    But you have my vote

    ReplyDelete