Sunday, August 23, 2009

Enough with the euphamisms. Or not.

Thanks for humoring my low-ball humor in the preceeding posts. I'm sure you think I'm nuts by now.

These tasty balls from the Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago's Ground Meat Cookbook [circa '54, '55, '65 & '70] are a handful. And a bit tart, sweetheart. They're strong enough for a man, when made by a woman [the secret's out].

Lemon Meat Balls
2oz cheddar cheese [about 1/2 c, grated]
Combine with cheese, and mix lightly [take off your rings, unless you have a flesh fettish and want to be picking raw meat out of your anniversary band 'til your next anniversary]:
1 lb ground beef1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 c [about 1 slice] fine, dry bread crumbs
1 T chopped parsley
1 T grated lemon peel [go ahead & zest this time, my lazy ass did]
1 T lemon juice
1 egg, beaten
Add a mixture of:
1 t salt
1/2 t monosodium glutamate [me no likey msg]
1/4 t pepper
Shape into balls about 2" in diameter [bigger is better - a mantra to follow, for sure]. Coat by rolling meat balls in:3 T flour
Heat in skillet
3 T fat
Add meat balls to skillet and brown over medium heat, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. Remove from heat and add slowly, blending well:
1 1/2 c [12 oz can] tomato juice
1 1/4 c hot water
Return to heat, cover and simmer about 40 in. Turn meat balls occasionally.


Hmmm...
First - skip the msg. There's a reason it's not even good enough for the dingy Chinese take-out dive on the corner. And amp up the lemon flavor. Double, even triple the zest and juice. Pour it on 'til you pucker. I also opted out of simmering the balls [go ahead, you don't have to stifle that giggle] in plain Jane tomato juice. The shame and guilt of essentially frying the meat mix in fat [I used veg shortening, how vegan of me] had me opt for low sodium V8. I'm sure the fatty to healthy ratio was still 3:1. But I noshed on 3 of them [with Nebraska sweetcorn and fresh farmer's market potatoes on the side] regardless of ratios. Screw the math, it was better than good. So much.

2 comments:

  1. Love the little retro burger and fry (and meatball tray) ... how funky, where did you get that? You really had a ball with this one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am gonna have to try this one out. Loving the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete