Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Butternut Squash [heavy on the butter]

I did it. I got the kids to nosh on squash. It was as easy as 1 + 1: 1 part butter; 1 part brown sugar. And here's how sweet it looked.I think we all got a tiny cavity from just having it on our plates. Here's what I did to achieve the veggie-meets-candy consistency:

Scoop and slice 1 medium butternut squash. Melt 1 stick of butter and 3 T brown sugar over low heat. Toss pierced squash in pan and slide all ingredients into a baking dish. Place on center rack of a 500 degree oven [that would be "fast" or "hot" by retro standards]. Roast for 8 minutes, turn squash and roast 10 minutes more.

Write it off as a serving of vitamin A. And write a check to your dentist for the fillings.

They should serve this on a stick at the county fair, I swear.

How do you take your squash?

1 comment:

  1. Drooooool. At first glance, I thought these were spareribs-LOL! I roasted some butternut squash last night and mixed it with barley and thyme. Yours looks way better.

    ReplyDelete