Sunday, March 6, 2011

Half [& Half] Baked

Spring is so close I can taste it.
I needed a lunchbox cookie for the week for Ben - and with only old school ingredients on hand, you can bet that Better Homes & Gardens (c) circa '65 had my back.

[11 out of 12 of these baked goodys would frighten a child -
which funky cooky would you chase with a glass of milk?]


Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cups chopped California walnuts [or dollar store m&ms]
1/2 cup raisins

Cream together shortening, brown sugar and eggs till light and fluffy. Stir in buttermilk [confession: I didn't have any on hand, hell, who does? - so I subbed-in half & half - it worked just dandy]. Sift together dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture. Stir in rolled oats, nuts, and raisins. Drop from tablespoon 2 inches apart on greased cooky sheet. Bake in hot oven [400 degrees] about 8 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from pan. Makes about 5 dozen [that's 3 dozen in 21st century cooky counts].


The half & half was heavenly. Wow. Don't tell anyone, but this is my new secret ingredient. I will sub it for milk in every damn thing I bake from now on. And the nutmeg was a pretty swell addition, too. Who woulda thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment