Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fuzzy Navel


You'll find no lint in peaches' belly buttons. All the more reason to bake with them.

So I grabbed a few of their fuzzy navels and proceeded to consult the Women's Club Leaders in Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota & South Dakota's 1966 Favorite Recipies of the Great Plains Desserts Edition cook book for answers on my whats and hows on these fleshy fall fruits [wow - that almost sounds dirty]. And the ladies led me plainly, and simply, to the recipe for Mrs. Ferne Combs...



PEACH DESSERT
2 c sugar
Butter
1 egg
1/2 c milk
2 c plus 2 tbsp flour
4 tsp baking powder
Fresh sliced peaches [I used 3 biggies & shaved 'em]

Cream 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon butter and egg. Sift 2 cups flour with baking powder; add milk and stir into creamed mixture. Pat onto bottom and sides of greased deep baking dish [preferably pyrex, people]. Sprinkle one cup sugar and remaining flour over bottom. Arrange peaches over sugar mixture; sprinkle with remaining sugar and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes to achieve this:

[Thanks, sweet OLD Mrs. Combs, but why didn't you remind me to use the baking powder in the instructions? Had I put 2 + 2 together on a Saturday evening, I would have remembered. No such luck this weekend...that said: add the 4 tsp of baking powder to the sifted flour to avoid baking a brick!]

This dessert was peachy. Keen. But when it comes to full flavor, falls somewhere in-between meh and marvelous! I'm not one to point fingers [Mrs. Combs] but the baking powder would have improved the texture. Until them, I'll use the modern marvel of the microwave to soften my servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment