Sunday, October 11, 2009

Awww, Pumpkin!

It's not just my nickname [thanks, mom] - it's the sweetest ingredient of the season.

I celebrated the cozy temp drop and baked a pie yesterday.

Pumpkin pecan.I can't credit any retro recipe. And the crust wasn't made by my loving hand. But any pie baked in your own oven is a throwback to the days when a woman's place was in the kitchen, and an apron was more than an accessory.

So pull yours on.

Pecan-topped Pumpkin Pie
  • 2 deep-dish pie crusts
  • 1-1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
  • 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Deep-Dish Pie Pastry. Mix pecans and brown sugar in small bowl; place 3/4 cup pecan mixture in bottom of pie shell. Reserve remaining pecan mixture for topping. Combine pumpkin, half-and-half, granulated sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in large bowl; mix well. Pour into prepared pie shell.

Bake for 50 minutes or until just set in center. Add butter to remaining pecan mixture; stir until moistened. Sprinkle pie filling with pecan mixture; bake for 10 minutes more or until topping bubbles around edges. Cool on wire rack.

Now, prove your love and share it with your fam.

4 comments:

  1. I finally found some pumpkin at my local Price Chopper (and stocked up!) I'm going to have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, honey not pumpkin! Its my kryponite

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin! Just made pumpkin bread with a few mini chocolate chips in it (substitute applesauce for oil and you can indulge a little, you see!) - and your pie looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pecans ... so I'll eat the top and the crust...Seriously it looks wonderful, squirty whipped cream is the only thing this pie needs to succeed.

    ReplyDelete