Bacon 'n Tomato Salad
This popular flavor combination of a bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich has been captured in this delicious salad. [Betty Crocker's Dinner in a Dish circa 1965]
Just what makes it so damn delicious, you ask?
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces [why don't they do that at the salad bar?!?]
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 8-10 slices bacon, crisply fried [let's not go there - my carbon-dated bacon experiment hit the garbage at approx 11am and was replaced by it's grocery bacon-by-the-pound bits around 5p]
- 2 large tomatoes cut into eighths [godbless that fraction chapter in 2nd grade]
- 1 hard cooked egg, sliced [I opted for 3, my fam's cholestrol levels don't require a lipitor 'script - yet]
- Barbecue dressing [below]
Wow. Never seen a recipe so dependent on the fridge chill factor, all molded salads aside.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing [mmmm...mayo!]
- 1/4 c bottled barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp instant minced onion
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper