Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spare Me

Damn. My friends' moms grow the grooviest gardens. Look at this handsome handful of asparagus that came my way last week.After admiring these slim jim dandies, I reached for my veggie bible, Good Housekeeping's Book of Vegetables [to tempt the most reluctant appetites] (c)'58, in search of a spiritual experience.

I didn't quite find it. But I did find an excuse to prep these greenies with cheese and a side of sauteed mushrooms. You see, here's all the GH staff had to offer on the topic of asparagus:
"...Slice fresh asparagus on the bias...or leave it whole. Then cook it quickly in a large covered skillet, with a little butter or margarine, boiling water, and salt. Sprinkle with toasted almonds, crisp bacon bits, grated cheese, lemon juice, sauteed mushroom slices, a little nutmeg [wtf?], or snipped parsley. Or pour on Easy Holandaise, Easy Cheese Sauce or Vinaigrette Sauce or bottled mustard sauce, seasoned commercial sour cream, etc."

Wow. I never would have thought of that. Um, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment