Monday, December 21, 2009

Green with Envy. And Jell-O.

There's always room for Jell-O. It knows no singular season, celebration or mealtime. Lucky us.

This holiday is no exception. We pre-Christmas-ed with my family this weekend and somewhere between Ben & Marge's squeals of excitement over their Legos and handmade [by some sweet old lady] Barbie wardrobe [complete with a wedding gown and tiny pairs of panties] I was presented with all kinds of Jell-O retro from my mom. Don't you just giggle when you think of these ladies [maids? puh-leze] lining up to wiggle and jiggle their jello out of the molds? I can't wait to dish up this recipe tonight from my mini Quick, Easy, Jell-O Wonder Dishes book (c)'30 in these granny green sundae cups:
Lime Mallow Sponge
[not the most mouth-watering adjectives & noun combo, is it?]
1 package Lime Jell-O
10 marshmallows, finely cut
1 pint boiling water

Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water. Add marshmallows [we used minis] and stir until dissolved. Chill until cold [newsflash!] and syrupy. Place in bowl of cracked ice or ice water and whip with rotary egg beater until fluffy and thick like whipped cream. Turn into molds. Chill until form. Unmold. Serve with the marshmallow sauce if desired.

Here's the mallow-mold the kids and I are fashioning this morning. Doesn't look to whippy, but I'm sure it will taste whippy! Can you imagine the decadence of Lime Jell-O during the depression?! Now we know three things are certain: death, taxes and Jell-O!
kitschy-kitschy,
heidi

3 comments:

  1. I'll bet that isn't bad at all - though I think it would be amazing with raspberry or strawberry Jell-O too (maybe that plus a batch of lime - pastel Christmas colors!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment on my blog! yours is adorable, as are you i'm sure! :O)
    happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a weird love hate thing with jello-o cant help it :)

    ReplyDelete