Monday, January 18, 2010

What Would Alice Do?

The Brady Bunch is 40.
And their kitchen , to me, is as awesome today as it was back in the day.
I plan to get an eyeful of avocado green and ruddy red-orange today during TVLand's Brady Marathon!

One of my favorite episodes is from season one: "Brace Yourself." Remember when Marcia, Marcia, Marcia transformed from toothy tween to tin grin, convincing herself that she is "...ugly! ugly! ugly!"? and causing all kinds of school dance drama. Life is hard. Even if you are a Brady. I'm a big Monkees fan, too - and when I see Davy Jones ask Marcia for a kiss "on the flip side" I get giddy. I was a sucker for all the 80s reunions, too - if a tv special was proceeded by "A Very Brady..." I was front and center on the couch faster than you can say, "Oh, Wally!"

Share your best Brady memory with me and I'll share what I think would have been one of Alice's grooviest after-school snack recipes [from Better Homes and Garden Snacks and Refreshments (c)'63]...

[Alice prepares to test Greg's gag reflex]

Tutti-frutti Bars

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 pound marshmallows
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped candied cherries
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
5 1/2 ounce package crisp rice cereal

Heat butter and marshmallows in double boiler till thick and syrupy. Bet in vanilla. Add cherries and pecans.

Place cereal in large bowl. Pour marshmallow mixture over, stirring briskly. Press into a greased 9x9x2-inch pan. Press extra cherries and nuts into top of mixture, if desired. Let stand till firm enough to cut, about 1 hour. Makes 24 bars.







3 comments:

  1. I've been having my own little Brady marathon too.

    http://moon-doggie.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-brady-haven.html

    I'm only just into the second series and can't remember much of when I watched them years ago. I quite liked the braces one too. The worst is that woman in pink who had some crazy architectural requests.

    Enjoy your marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pork chops and applesauce...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I saw it on tv and didn't know its a marathon! I really do like that show.. I love that house! Id totally want it. with a few more bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete